Boy in critical condition after rescued from burning Meriden home, officials say

0
5
boy-in-critical-condition-after-rescued-from-burning-meriden-home,-officials-say
Boy in critical condition after rescued from burning Meriden home, officials say

MERIDEN — A boy is in critical, but stable, condition after he was rescued from a burning home on Broad Street Saturday, according to the Meriden Fire Department. 

The fire also sent four firefighters to the hospital for various injuries, including burns, cardiac issues and smoke inhalation. The firefighters have since been treated and released, Deputy Fire Chief Ryan Dunn said. 

Firefighters responded to a three-alarm blaze just before 4 p.m. Saturday and found heavy fire from the side porch of the wood frame home spreading rapidly through the first and second floors, according to Dunn. 

A Newington plumber, Dylan Saradeth, and his co-worker ran into the burning home before the fire department’s arrival to rescue those inside. Saradeth said he noticed “black smoke” coming from the home as he drove by with his co-worker after finishing a job in the area.

“You could see the back porch was engulfed in flames,” he said.

With no fire trucks in sight, Saradeth, who lives in Newington, said he and his co-worker pulled over and tried to enter the home, busting open the locked front door with a pipe wrench. According to Saradeth, the family watching television on the home’s second floor was unaware the porch was ablaze.

“They think we’re breaking into the home,” he said. 

Saradeth said he told the family to evacuate the house, and a woman replied that her son was asleep on the floor above. Saradeth said he briefly went upstairs to rescue the son, but the flames spread quickly from the porch and into the home, forcing him to retreat.

“The fire was about halfway through the living room,” he said. “I could feel the heat as I jumped out.”

Firefighters soon arrived and were told by Saradeth that someone was trapped on the third floor. The blaze blocked the stairs, so firefighters had to use a ladder to climb through a window and found the boy unconscious. They rescued the boy, providing emergency medical care before he went into a waiting ambulance, according to Dunn. 

As of Sunday morning, the boy is at the Jacobi Medical Center in Bronx, N.Y. where he is getting hyperbaric treatment, Dunn said. 

Dunn called the civilians, Saradeth and his co-worker, “true heroes.”

“The Meriden Fire Department thanks them for their brave assistance,” he added. 

The Meriden firefighter’s union said all companies, as well as units from the Wallingford and New Britain fire departments, operated on the scene for several hours.

Two firefighters suffered burns while battling the blaze. They have since been released from the hospital but “will require further treatment from specialists,” Dunn said. Two other firefighters were taken to local hospitals due to smoke inhalation and cardiac exertion. They have since been treated, released and cleared to return to work, he added.

The American Red Cross said it is helping the family, two adults and three children, that resided at the home. 

State Rep. Michael Quinn, D-Meriden, who is also the vice president of the Connecticut Fire Photographers Association, was there to capture the scene. 

“My heart goes out to the families effected by this incident,” he said. “It is my hope that the good people of Meriden will help them out as they have done with other fire victims in the past.”

The blaze remains under investigation, Dunn said. 

This story has been updated to reflect the right street.

austin.mirmina@hearstmediact.com