Hi all. Dan Casarella here with your fresh copy of the Philadelphia Daily, filled with all the things you need to know about what’s happening locally. I’ll get right to it.
📣 Our readers love to celebrate good news! You can now shout out your big announcement at the top of the Philadelphia Daily newsletter. Whether it’s a grand opening, new product for sale, birthday, anniversary, engagement, wedding or new baby, let everyone celebrate alongside you! Submit your announcement here.
Now, today’s weather:
A thunderstorm around. High: 97 Low: 79.
🏡 Looking for more real estate leads in Philadelphia? Let us help you reach prospective home buyers and stand out from the competition. Click here to learn more.
Here are the top three stories in Philadelphia today:
- A white oak tree estimated to be 90 years old fell on a high school reunion group in Fairmount Park. Police reported that six people between 66 and 67 years old were injured, but the fire department found two others in need of medical attention. One individual needed to be removed from under the tree. All wounded individuals have been listed in stable condition. (Philadelphia Patch)
- A Heat Health Emergency has been declared in Philadelphia from noon Monday to 8:00 pm tonight, Aug. 9. The emergency may be extended depending on the weather forecast. Features of the Heat Health Emergency include cooling centers, home visits, and enhanced daytime outreach for people experiencing homelessness. The city also encourages the public to check in on older friends, relatives, and neighbors. (Philadelphia Patch)
- Two Philadelphia women were stabbed on Albanus street in Olney on Sunday night. Around 10:00 pm, officers found two women, ages 36 and 28. The former was stabbed in the thigh and lower back, while the latter was stabbed in the back. Both are in stable condition and police have made an arrest. (WPVI-TV)
Today in Philly:
- block party At Falls Of Schuylkill Branch Library (10:30 AM)
- Transportation Storytime: The Ways We Go! At Chestnut Hill Branch (10:30 AM)
From my notebook:
- Philly offers a variety of halal options in every neighborhood. Kabobeesh in West Philly offers wonderful kebabs, Pera in Northern Liberties has lamb dumplings, and Marrakesh in Society Hill will roll out course after course of Moroccan cuisine. (Philadelphia magazine)
- Philly jobs are available in a variety of neighborhoods and even feature some remote options. Most of the positions are in customer service with some in sales and driving. (Philadelphia Patch)
- Iron Chef Jose Garces is opening yet another Philly restaurant — this time at the Wells Fargo Center. Garces Eats, opening in October, will feature old favorites like smash burgers as well as new adobo chicken. (AL DIA News)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
gigs & services:
Now you’re in the loop and ready to start this Tuesday off right! See you tomorrow for another update.
— Dan Casarella
About me: Dan Casarella is a writer, podcast producer, and small business development specialist who formerly worked in late-night television. He’s produced many talk segments, including with President Joe Biden, Kobe Bryant, and Chadwick Boseman. Dan studied Media Studies and Production at Temple University. He also enjoys running, painting, and the highs and lows of Philadelphia’s sports teams.