hey everybody today is National Solitaire Day, which was founded by Microsoft in 2018! I’m back in your inbox this morning to walk you through all the most important things happening these days in town.
Why are there firefighters on video who appear to be kicking and punching a person? So, you don’t have to limit tree watering come June 1. Finally, the transportation mask mandates what extended.
First, today’s weather:
Clouds giving way to sun. High: 71 Low: 55.
Where’s The Cheapest Gallon Of Regular Gasoline In Los Angeles?
- Speedway at 1205 S Alvarado St., $5.79
- Valero at 500 S Alameda St., $5.88
- Arco at 2106 W Temple St., $5.91
- We Got It at 1600 W Olympic Blvd., $6.09
- Mobil at 1940 S Hoover St., $6.19
Poll! Who Should Be The Next Los Angeles Mayor?
Please share your thoughts! (As of today, Rick Caruso leads the pack with 48.9% of your votes, and Karen Bass is in second place with 27.7%.)
Here are the top five stories in Los Angeles today:
- A disturbing video is making the rounds. It shows what appears to be firefighters “punching and kicking a person at Los Angeles City FireStation 6” on Virgil Avenue on Friday. According to the LAPD, the person “was allegedly trying to break into the fire stationand station firefighters were forcibly removing that person from their property.” Neighbors say the person is a “troublemaker (who) sometimes throws bottles in the middle of the street.” There is an internal investigation and the “firefighters involved have been detailed to administrative duties.” (ABC)
- on friday, Mayor Eric Garcetti said that the two-day watering restrictions beginning on June 1 don’t apply to tree watering. “We need to conserve now more than ever, and watering our trees is a critical part of our work to become a more sustainable and drought resilient state,” he explained. (NBC)
- the county announced Friday that it has extended the transportation mask mandate. “That means anyone over the age of 2 on public buses and trains and travelers inside all airports in LA County are required to wear a face mask — even if they are vaccinated.” Initially, the order was supposed to expire today, “but LA County’s COVID-19 cases have tripled nearly since it was put into effect and they continue to rise.” (LAist)
- why is LA keeping an eye on monkeypox? Health officials did state that no cases have been reported locally. That said, “cases have occurred in countries that are associated with international travel or animals imported from areas where the disease is more common.” the monkeypox virus is endemic to Central and West Africa. (NBC)
- did Daily Harvest succeed in developing a groundbreaking vegan protein crumble? “A lot of the alternative meats are made with hydrogenated whatevers, it’s made from a lab, not the ground,” the VP of Community & Advocacy explained. What makes this company’s crumble different is its mix of “nuts, legumes, seeds, cauliflower, butternut squash and mushrooms.” There’s no hydrogenated soy. Give it a taste at its Chop shop pop up today from 11 am to 6 pm (LA Magazine)
Today in Los Angeles:
- Dear Harvey: A Staged Reading Online on the City’s WeHo Arts YouTube page (9 am)
- An Urban Archive As An English Garden at (9am)
- hike day with the Free People Movement Club at The Shops at Sportsmen’s Lodge (9 am)
- West Hollywood Fundraiser for Refugees from Ukraine at Plummer Park (11 am)
- Diapers And Art at 739 South Coronado Street (12:30 pm)
From my notebook:
- Pfizer COVID-19 boosters are now available for children ages 5-11 at all county vaccination sites! Public health officials encourage eligible children to get boosted before summer & holiday travel for added protection. (instagram)
- Are you interested in playing an essential role in our democracy? The county is looking for election workers to assist voters with the in-person voting experience throughout LA County. You can earn up to $1,180! (instagram)
- More pea chicks have hatched at the Los Angeles County Arboretum & Botanic Garden, with more sure to come! Come see these unique birds in their natural habitat and revel in their cuteness. 😊 (Facebook)
- our N Hollywood Oxnard Archwood neighbor is in need of a trusted dog walker in North Hollywood. They have two dogs and need them walked on Fridays. Please let them know your cost and if you have a Rover account. (next door)
- visit a Silver Lake Effie neighbor’s home for a mini estate sale. Furniture, décor, small appliances are available today 8 am to 1 pm (Nextdoor)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
- Torrance Antique Street Faire (May 22)
- Short Story Fest 2022 (May 22)
- Taxes in Retirement Webinar (May 23)
- Make Your Self: Parenthood (Part 3 of 8) – The Great Cabinet Detox (May 24)
- Join The Beauty Foodie Club…Love to Party for Good on 5-5 @ 5:25 (May 25)
- The Tree of the Mesopotamian Opera (May 25)
- [Free Masterclass] Increase Your Website Sales & Leads Using SEO (May 28)
- Add your event
gigs & services:
Loving the Los Angeles Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
- Send a friend or neighbor this link so they can subscribe
- Get your local business listed in front of readers
- Send me a news tip or suggestion at email@example.com
Now you’re in the loop and ready to head out the door on this Sunday. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow with a new update!
— Sylvia Cochran
About me: Sylvia Cochran works out of sunny Southern California and has been freelance writing full-time since 2005. She loves dogs, cats, books, plays Best Fiends (don’t judge), embraces social justice, and tries to live out Micah 6:8.
Have a news tip or suggestion for an upcoming Los Angeles Daily? Contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org