happy saturday, North Austin-Pflugerville! Let’s get you all caught up on what’s happening locally to start today off on an informed note.
First, today’s weather:
Sunshine and pleasant. High: 77 Low: 44.
Here are the top stories in North Austin-Pflugerville today:
- On Wednesday, March 16, “Pflugerville Tree Experts helped Travis Howard remove a 200-year-old tree from his landscape.” The company’s experienced team was able to remove “the tree without harming the powerlines standing 30 feet from the 80-foot white oak.” Howard said, “After being on this family property for two generations, the white oak finally decided to bid the family farewell in 2022. The tree died last week but one, and the family realized keeping it around wouldn’t be a good idea. ” They made the decision after Travis saw that a neighbor did not remove a dead tree on time, and after it decayed, it became weak and landed on his house when it broke during a storm. To find out more on the services offered by Pflugerville Tree Experts, visit their website at http://www.treeexpertsaustin.com/tree-service-pflugerville/ and read more at: (Digital Journal)
- On Thursday, March 17, the Austin Police Department “released bystander video and officer body camera footage from a March 6 shooting in North Austin where two officers investigating an unrelated shooting fatally shot a man.” According to Austin Police Chief Joe Chacon, “the man was identified as 28-year-old Miguel Ruiz Rivera.” The incident occurred at 2:55 pm, when police “responded to a shooting at a Motel 6 on the southbound service road of North Interstate 35, in the 7100 block near the intersection with East St. Johns Avenue.” Per Chacon, the victim was taken to the hospital and has now been released, but “that shooting was not related to the officer-involved shooting.” He said that “however, as a result of that initial shooting call, police officers Britton Taylor and Charles Wesley were investigating the motel shooting… looking for video that could provide more information about the incident.” For more details on the case please visit: (Austin American-Statesman)
- If you’re in the search for a new home in Pflugerville, there are several open houses this weekend that you may consider visiting. The open houses started on Friday, March 18 and will continue until Sunday, March 20. Happy house hunting! For a list of the open houses with details, please visit: (har.com)
Today in North Austin-Pflugerville:
- Total Body with Carol Lee at the Pflugerville Recreation Center. Please bring your mat and a bottle of water. Cost is $7 per class or $50 for a 10-class pass. Register at the Recreation Center front desk. (9am)
- Eclipse “A Journey Tribute” back to the house at Hanover’s Draft House. Cover charge is $10 but the event is now standing room only as all table RSVPs have been sold out. Please contact the venue before attending to be sure there is still space available. (9pm)
- Plant Swap in person event at the Pflugerville Public Library’s courtyard. Registration is not required but is recommended to receive event updates. Starter plans will be available while supplies last, and those 12 and over will be able to learn how to make small wire trellises for houseplants. Please visit the Reopen page regarding COVID-19 masking requirements and email Bette at firstname.lastname@example.org for questions and further information. (10:30 am)
- Pflugerville Poetry Society Meeting at Pflugerville Public Library. This is an in-person event for individuals 18 and over. For questions, please e-mail Adult Services Librarian Meg Miller at email@example.com. (11am)
- Stand up comedy in Tai Nguyen’s Living Room at 2008 Golden Sunrise Ln. in Pflugerville. The show will be performed in “a professional built stage in the middle of a suburban house’s living room along with elevated lighting and surround sound.” This is a BYOB event and tickets can be purchased online for $15 and for $20 at the door. (9pm)
- SXSW “Reallyfe Street Starz Under the Lights” Event at Cajjun Eats. SXSW Event Tickets range from $10-$250. Please check with the venue regarding this event’s exact cost. (10pm)
More from our sponsors — thanks for supporting local news!
Loving the North Austin-Pflugerville Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
That’s it for today. I’ll catch up with you bright and early tomorrow morning with a new update!
— Gabriela Couvillion
About me: I’m an active mom of two grown sons and lifelong San Antonio resident. I received a BA in Spanish from the University of Texas at San Antonio, and in my free time I immersed myself in creative writing. Thanks for reading Patch, and feel free to reach out if you have any news and happenings you think may appeal to our readers!